Wednesday, May 26, 2010

A Rainy Day in Brussels

Today was cold and rainy, the kind of day that makes you want to stay inside and snuggle under a blanket. So, naturally I would have a 10 o'clock computer account activation session 40 minutes on the metro away from where I live. After that was done, I mostly just stayed in doors in the ISA office with some of my fellow ISA-ers and watched Pride and Prejudice. Jane Austen is wonderful no matter where you are, I've found.
Yesterday was our orientation day for Vesalius college. Since Vesalius is literally one building with a few classrooms in it, we have a special reciprocity with the VUB (the dutch speaking university across the street) so we can use their buildings and resources. Orientation was on the VUB campus, which is a bit smaller than KSU campus. Needless to say, it's quite big. So, we got a tour and met the study abroad reps along with the student government officers. They were all very energetic about taking us to experience Brussels on their bar hopping activity that night. We were supposed to meet at 9 at the bar on the VUB campus. So, about 30 of us gathered around and waited for the student gov. posse to arrive... an hour late. When they got there, they went straight into the bar, got drinks, and sat by themselves. We were all standing around like "uhhh... what is going on?" Finally some girl went up to the president and asked what was up. He said this was our first stop. So we sat down and got drinks. The Vesalius people didn't integrate; they didn't even talk to us. Then we went to this jungle decorated cocktail bar, fifteen minutes walk from the campus. A lot of people had class the next day or wanted to take to metro home so I ended up leaving the jungle bar by 11:30 with a couple other people. The last metro is at midnight so it really dictates the schedule of your night. Plus, it's a bit scary at night. I've been working on my European glare that shows people that I am not to be messed with. You may laugh but I am terrifying. Also, at night I've learned not to talk to anyone. Or look at them. Just keep to yourself, look at the ground, know where you're going, and glare and you'll be fine. Also grip your keys like you can stab someone the instant someone tries anything. Let me tell you, the life lessons I am learning here...
So, we left the jungle at 11:30 but ended up taking a REALLY long loop all the way around the VUB and at 11:53, we realized where we were (about a 10 minute walk to the metro). So, we SPRINTED up the street and made it, thankfully. I was nervous though.
Note to self: just because you think you know where you are because it looks the same as where you think you are, does not mean you are where you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment